Monday, September 14, 2009

South Western Oatmeal

This weekend, apart from exciting (and often questionable activities), I decided to eat a diet consisting only of oatmeal. I determined that it was ok to add different ingredients to my oats to ensure that I was getting protein and other essential things. The first night I cooked my oats, poured in half a can of beans, big chunks of cheese, fresh tomato and copious amounts of sour cream, topped by taco seasoning, and stirred it all together. In appearance this looked rather terrible and caused my fellow climbers to look disgusted. I was offered pizza by some other climbers at the table next to ours, although some of my friends eventually manned up and tried my food, which looked sickeningly similar to vomit, and decided that it wasn't as horrible as it looked.

On the Second night I again prepared my meal. As I was preparing to eat it cold, Vadim convinced me to wait, and heat it up on the stove he, John and Tony had just used to cook their meal. When it was heated up, it became a gooey mess of cheese, tomato, beans and of course oatmeal. This night I managed to get everyone to try some! It was, oddly enough, an instant classic. Tony admitted that he would eat it again; Allen proclaimed that he would probably end up eating it at home on occasion! Because of this, I have included a recipe for those who would like to further their dirt-bagging skills!

Ingredients:
Kroger quick-cook oats
Kroger brand? sour cream
Kroger seasoned black beans
Fresh tomato
Kroger cheddar cheese
Taco seasoning packet

Cooking instructions:
Boil water, add oats (but don't really cook them), remove from heat. Add half a can of beans, cheese (don't really cut it, just hack it into larger pieces), "chopped" tomato (again be lazy and and just sort of chop it). At this point add a lot of sour cream, and top it off with taco seasoning to taste. At this point your stove should be put away, so look around for another stove to use, ask the owner of the stove to let you heat your stuff. heat until gooey and delicious. Serve hot (or cold if you couldn't find a stove) eat out of the pot and drink a cold (or warm) PBR! Enjoy!

1 comment: